I have a lot of fond memories of growing up in Texas. Many of these have been running through my head today as I have been wishing I were there. Today is my Grandpa Friday’s birthday. This man has been and still is one of the biggest influences in my life.
When I was born, my family lived in California and my grandparents lived in Colorado. Grandpa would make the effort to come out and visit us just about every weekend. As a reminder, my mom would tell my older brother that, “Grandpa is coming on Friday” to visit. Over time, this became such a regular event that my brother, instead of asking when he was coming to vist, would simply ask, “Grandpa Friday?”. Somehow it just stuck.
This name has lasted through many years and seasons. It is extremely fitting of his character. There has never been a season in my life that I needed him and he was not there (regardless of how many states or countries away I lived). He is a man that I can depend on, through the thick and thin.
A few memories that have been running through my head today of my grandfather…
- Spending the night at their house and getting to wear his big T-shirt to bed
- Being tutored in math
- Learning how to play (and strategize through) all sorts of card games
- Living with them as our house was being built. I think I almost burned down their kitchen leaving a hot pad on the lit stove. He may or may not know about this one.
- Coffee milk in the mornings
- Talks of Faith
- Big hugs and lots of I love you’s
- Stories of the many places he traveled. His stories may have been what started the travel bug in me.
- Twice baked potatoes- he is basically famous for these.
My Grandfather is the kind of man that makes you feel protected when you are around him, will hold you accountable & give his honest opinion, that many look up to, and that is truly deserving of honor and respect. So today I want to let you know, Grandpa Friday, that I love you more than I could put into words. I am honored to have you in my life, let alone to be able to call you Grandpa. Happy Birthday!