It has snowed twice now (big snows) and the ground is still white. I think it is safe to say that it is now officially winter! This means… ski season approaches, lots of mittens and hats to be worn, cuddling under blankets with hot cocoa & movies, Thanksgiving and soon followed by Christmas (the two BEST holidays, in my opinion), lots of warm coffee, decorating the house, cookie making, holiday music, and finally Christmas cards! Whew. Sorry… I just love this time of year.
That being said… it’s also time once again to get creative about healthful warm dishes that are pleasing to both myself and someone else in my home that is not all that crazy about vegetables. Don’t get me wrong. He is a very good sport about my cooking, but I want him to actually like the dishes I make without sacrificing the nutritional value. Good news- I have a success recipe to share.
Here is an easy, inexpensive dish filled with protein, vitamins, minerals and most importantly great flavor. David gave it the thumbs up. It even works well for leftovers.
Spinach Cheese Bake
- About 4 cups spinach (or Swiss chard if you prefer)
- 5 eggs (I prefer organic + omegas added) beaten
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 cup bread (not dried) cut in small cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheese of choice (I used Mexican blend and it was great)
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Chop spinach and saute with olive oil and a little garlic until soft. Be sure not to over-heat the spinach to reduce nutrient loss.
3. Combine all ingredients together and pour in 2 qt baking dish.
4. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven until set (25-30min)